Bitcoin is a decentralized digital currency that enables instant payments to anyone, anywhere in the world. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer technology to operate with no central authority: transaction management and money issuance are carried out collectively by the network.
The original Bitcoin software by Satoshi Nakamoto was released under the MIT license.
Most client software, derived or "from scratch", also use open source licensing.
Bitcoin is the first successful implementation of a distributed crypto-currency, described in part in 1998 by Wei Dai on the cypherpunks mailing list. Building upon the notion that money is any object, or any sort of record, accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context, Bitcoin is designed around the idea of using cryptography to control the creation and transfer of money, rather than relying on central authorities.
- Bitcoins are sent easily through the Internet, without needing to trust any third party.
- Are irreversible by design
- Are fast. Funds received are available for spending within minutes.
- Cost very little, especially compared to other payment networks.
- The supply of bitcoins is regulated by software and the agreement of users of the system and cannot be manipulated by any government, bank, organization or individual. The limited inflation of the Bitcoin system's money supply is distributed evenly (by CPU power) to miners who help secure the network.
In the news
- It is revealed that Federal agents extorted Ross Ulbricht in 2013 in excess of $1 million for their own personal benefit.
- As of block 350000, two thirds of all bitcoins have been mined.
- 21 announces they have raised $116 million in venture capital from investors including Qualcomm and RRE Ventures.
- This wiki and several other large Bitcoin-related websites are blocked throughout Russia.
- Help - Documentation on wiki editing.
- About - Information on this site.
- Dumps Backup this wiki.
Languages needing translation work: AR ID MS BG CA CS DA ET EL EO EU FA GL KO HE HR KA LV LT HU NL JA NO NN PT SK SL SR SH FI SV TH VI TR UK