For the incredibly lazy and/or incompetent web developer, I present the lazy man's bitcoin API (copied from a forum post):
Lazy web designer (me) wants to use bitcoins without dealing with installing bitcoin on a server, installing a shopping card interface, or using ugly merchant services with callbacks.
Solution for sending bitcoins:
Use the MtGox API
Solution for receiving bitcoins:
- Input a list of bitcoin receiving addresses to your database
- Give a bitcoin address to a potential customer
- Have the customer tell you when they have sent the coins and have at least 1 confirmation
- Check blockexplorer to see if they sent the right amount (i.e. http://blockexplorer.com/q/getreceivedbyaddress/19hMEAaRMbEhfSkeU4GT8mgSuyR4t4M6TH)
- Wait for more blocks (confirmations) if paranoid (look for the latest block number to go up here: http://blockexplorer.com/q/getblockcount)
- Give them what they paid for
- After a reasonable amount of time has passed, you can re-use the address for another customer
You could avoid having a list of addresses and reusing them if one of the wallet services someday lets you get a new address via API call, but this will work for now.
Selling bars of gold this way (owner of blockexplorer.com could rip you off)
Selling naked pictures of your grandma this way (owner of blockexplorer.com won't bother)
If this info is useful to you, please consider a donation: 19hMEAaRMbEhfSkeU4GT8mgSuyR4t4M6TH