Here is a generic Getting Started guide.
- For an introductory site see WhereToBuyCryptocoins.com. Explains what is a cryptocoin, how it works, and have many lists of markets, exchanges, faucets, sites to spend money, prices, etc. For starters and reference.
- Get free bitcoins and learn to use them in 5 minutes: TryBTC
- Start by watching this 2 minute vid.
- Learn why it could be a good investment
- Learn why it's objectively better as a means of exchange.
- Get a client and try it out yourself (you can get a bit of free money from BitcoinGet or The Bitcoin Faucet).
- Use an online wallet that you trust. (Examples: Coinkite, BCI)
- Explore bitcoin with a block chain browser such as Biteasy
- Ask questions
- Can I generate Free Money on my computer? - TL;DR - Not really.
- Read the FAQ
- Where can I buy bitcoins? (Hint: You can't buy them with Paypal or credit cards)
- Earn bitcoins through bonus programs
If you're looking for how to get started with Bitcoin-Qt, this is the article you're looking for.