Bisq (previously Bitsquare) is a P2P decentralized Bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchange. It is non-custodial in that it never touches or controls user funds, these are held in user controlled wallets and accounts. Security deposits are done through multisignature Bitcoin addresses.
Features and Philosophy
Unlike traditional online exchanges, Bisq is designed to be:
- Instantly accessible – no need for registration or approval from a central authority.
- Decentralized – there is no single point of failure. The system is peer-to-peer and trading can not be stopped or censored.
- Safe – Bisq never holds your funds. Decentralized arbitration system and security deposits protect traders.
- Private – no one except trading partners exchange personally identifying data. All personal data is stored locally.
- Secure – end-to-end encrypted communication routed over Tor.
- Open – every aspect of the project is transparent. The code is open source.
- Easy – we take usability seriously.
Bisq is for those who do not want to forfeit control or privacy to a central authority in order to trade with other individuals. We regard financial transactions as a form of private speech that should be protected from surveillance by banks, governments, and other institutions.