What's being said about Bitcoin by news sites and other media.
Press and notable mentions
Articles / Blog Posts
On techradar.com there was a balanced article [2011-10-15, UK, en]:
The death of money Electronic payments are everywhere. Is it time for cash to take a hike?
- By 2015, cash could be looking like an endangered species.
- So is Bitcoin the future of money, or is it only of interest to currency fans, cyber-utopians and speculators?
On The Guardian there was a negative and stupidly wrong article [2011-10-18, UK, en]:
Bitcoin value crashes below cost of production as broader use stutters
- the appreciation in value was a speculative bubble, caused by people hoarding the currency, rather than the start of a new (or parallel) economy.
- With the value of Bitcoins dropping so low, and the computing power required to produce them growing steadily, it is becoming uneconomic to generate more except through the use of hacked computers in "botnets".
On PacoAhlgren.com there was a angrily positive article [2011-07-25, US, en]:
Bitcoin Cannot Fail
- They can’t make the rules. And that scares the hell out of them.
- This may be the purest form of democracy the world has ever known, and I — for one — am thrilled to be here to watch it unfold.
On canada.com there was a very positive article [2011-07-22, Canada, en]:
Bitcoins create truly democratic policy, followers say
- Money may be the next frontier of the Internet revolution thanks to Bitcoin, a burgeoning new digital currency.
- ``If we remember, 15 years ago if you were doing anything on the Internet you were going to make millions, said Kenna. ``I think it could be the same with bitcoin.
On npr.org there was a neutral to slightly negative article [2011-07-12, United States, en]:
The Tuesday Podcast: Bitcoin
- I have to say this part of the whole Bitcoin thing for us did seem really easy. Easier than using a credit card or wiring a friend some money.
On The Economist there was a neutral article [2011-06-13, GB, en]:
Bits and bob
- Now, Friedman's dream has finally been realised—albeit not by a real-world central bank.
- Most people would rather devolve this sort of responsibility to the authorities. Until this mindset changes, Bitcoin will be no rival to real-world dosh.
On Telepolis there was a skeptical article [2011-06-10, DE, de]:
Wenig Unterschied zu Aktien
- Stoppt die amerikanischen Drogenpolizei DEA den Höhenflug der Bitcoin-Währung?
- Silk Road dürfte unter anderem deshalb schwer zu schließen sein, weil Betreiber ebenso wie Benutzer durch TOR weitgehend anonym sind.
On Smart Money there was a critical article [2011-06-10, USA, en]:
The Bitcoin Triples Again
- To recap, it's is a purely online currency with no intrinsic value; its worth is based solely on the willingness of holders and merchants to accept it in trade.
- Readers tempted to bet on the Bitcoin should resist, not least because it's unclear whether it will have any enduring worth.
- What Bitcoin Is, and Why It Matters 2011-05-24 Technology Review by MIT
- Bit Players, An open source digital currency seeks to gain wider acceptance 2011-05-23 iPad news app The Daily
- My Money Is Cooler Than Yours 2011-05-18 Slate
- L019: Bitcoin P2P Currency: The Most Dangerous Project We've Ever Seen 2011-05-15 Launch
- What Is BitCoin? 2011-05-19 Gizmodo.com
- Bitcoin: inside the encrypted, peer-to-peer digital currency 2011-06-08 Ars Technica
- Crypto Currency 2011-04-20 Forbes Magazine
- Online Cash Bitcoin Could Challenge Governments, Banks 2011-04-16 TIME TechLand
- Bitcoin: It's Not Too Late To Send Me Money 2011-03-27 Ironwolf Blog
- Open source identity: Bitcoin technical lead Gavin Andresen 2011-03-21 CIO Australia
- What the Frack is Bitcoin and Can I Use it with Drupal? 2011-03-14 CivicActions
- HTG Explains: What Is Bitcoin, the Virtual Digital Currency? 2011-03-01 HowToGeek.com
- Online-Only Currency BitCoin Reaches Dollar Parity 2011-02-10 news.Slashdot.org
On Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) there was a balanced to positive article [2011-01-20, USA, en]:
Bitcoin - a Step Toward Censorship-Resistant Digital Currency
- To understand digital currency, one must first note that money in the digital age has moved from a largely anonymous system to one increasingly laden with tracking, control and regulatory overhead.
- It's too early to say whether Bitcoin will be a success. Any new currency system faces an uphill battle, both technically and legally.
- Interview: How Bitcoin Created a Decentralized Crypto-Currency 2010-12-29 ReadWriteWeb
- Could the Wikileaks Scandal Lead to New Virtual Currency? 2010-12-10 PC World
- Imagine your computer as a wallet full of Bitcoins 2010-11-26 Irish Times
On LWN there was a positive article [2010-11-10, USA, en]:
Bitcoin: Virtual money created by CPU cycles
- The bigger open questions about Bitcoin are about its viability as a currency system.
- Bitcoin is different from electronic payment systems like Paypal that are really just computerized interfaces to traditional banks.
On Bitcoin Blogger there was a positive article [2010-09-30, ?, en]:
Bitcoin Electronic Currency: The Future of Money
On /. there was a neutral article [2010-07-11, USA, en]:
Bitcoin Releases Version 0.3
Podcasts / Video
- NPR Planet Money - The Tuesday Podcast: Bitcoin 2011-07-12 (mp3)
- Linux Outlaws 215 - Bitcoins 2011-06-30 (mp3, ogg)
- CBS / What’s Trending - Bitcoin: The Future Of Money 2011-06-08 Shira Lazar interviews Bitcoin developer Jeff Garzik.
- The World's First Bitcoin Road Trip 2011-05-30 An interview with The Real Plato on the Corbett Report.
- What Are Bitcoins? 2011-05-24 NPR All Things Considered (mp3)
- TWIST #140 2011-05-10 This Week In Startups interviews Gavin Andresen and Britcoin's Amir Taaki
- Cypherpunkd Episode 005: "Bitcoin Mania" Part 1 - mids 2011-04-06 Podcast interview of mids, from AgoristRadio.com (mp3)
- Bitcoin at EPCA 2011-04-04 Video of Genjix's presentation on Bitcoin at EPCA conference. (followup)
- Andresen on BitCoin and Virtual Currency 2011-04-04 EconTalk's Russell Roberts interview Bitcoin lead Gavin Andresen (mp3, transcript)
- What is Bitcoin? video introduction (mp4)
- Bitcoin – a Digital, Decentralized Currency 2011-03-18 omega tau interviews Bitcoin technical lead Gavin Andresen (podcast)
- Spark 139 2011-02-27 CBC Radio covers Bitcoin. A nice non-technical overview (podcast)
- Security Now 288: Q&A 2011-02-16 Bitcoin coverage is from 0:44:00 to about 1:13 of the podcast (podcast),(video)
- Ignite Amherst 2011-02-15 Presentation by Bitcoin Principal Gavin Andresen (Slides)
- Ignite D.C. 6 2011-02-03 Presentation by Darrell Duane (Slides) About Bitcoin and Potomac local currency
- Security Now 287: BitCoin CryptoCurrency 2011-02-09 Bitcoin coverage is from 0:41:25 to the end of the netcast (video), (podcast)
- The BarCamper's Guide to Bitcoin 2011-07-25 by Ash Moran
- Bitcoin - The World's 1st P2P Digital Currency 2011-06-?? Gavin Andresen Presentation given at In-Q-Tel investment conference
- Bitcoin - P2P Virtual Currency 2011-06-05 Jake Hansen Presentation submission for Defcon 19
- Monetising Game Play on Social Network Sites 2011-03-31 Jon Matonis at KPMG eGaming Summit
- Bitcoin - new P2P currency 2011-02-19 Juraj Bednar