An open-source Bitcoin solution written in Go language (golang). It can be built for every platform that has a working Go compiler. The software is licensed under GPL version 3.
Gocoin has a several unique features, that distinguish it from the original bitcoin client.
- All the unspent outputs are kept in memory, so switching between different wallets is very fast.
- Allows a user to limit the upload and download network bandwidth used by the client.
- Works with its own implementation of a cold storage wallet.
- For security reasons, it is supposed to be used with a PC that has never been (and will never be) connected to a network.
- The wallet is deterministic and a seed-password based, so as long as you remember the password, you do not need to backup it, ever.
- Additionally you can import private keys for your existing bitcoin wallet.
- Has very low hardware requirements, so you can run it on i.e. Raspberry Pi
The client node requires 64-bit platform and at least 4GB of system memory. It also requires a file system that can handle files larger than 4GB.
- No GUI
- Works only with entire (mined) blocks and does not rely transactions, except from sending own transactions to the network
Gocoin was written by a single person for a private purposes. The software's first public release was announced in May 2013 on Bitcointalk forum.