- 1 Pictures
- 2 Hardware Information
- 3 User Guide
- 4 Firmware
- 5 How to Compile Your Own Firmware for Avalon
- 6 IRC: #avalon @freenode.net
- 7 FAQ
- 8 Links
- 9 Donation
Technology Summary: TSMC 0.11- micron G process 5 Metal Core Voltage: 1.2 V I/O Voltage: 3.3 V Core Frequency: 256+ MHz Number of Pads: 48 8 Data 40+1 Power Package Type: QFN48 -0.5 Pitch Packaged Chip Size: 7 mm x 7 mm Chip Interface Data Pins (8 in total): Clock i Serial Data In  i Serial Data Out  o Serial Data Bypass  o Reserved  -
TSMC TMEM91 Chip Size : X = 3.9760 ,Y = 4.0560 mm Reticle Size : X/cell = 3 ,Y/cell = 3 Offset Value : X = -3.7668 ,Y = -2.2990 mm Alignment Mark : (118.80,83.20),(-118.80,-83.20) Alignment Mark Tolerant Distance : 1.6 mm Notch Reserved Distance : 7.75 mm Start Distance : 7.75 mm Ring Edge : 3.0 mm Photo Die Number: 4055
Chip power efficienty: 6.6W/GHs @ 1.15 V Module power consumption: 149W @ 20GHs / 164W@ 22GHs Machine power consumption: 595W @ 220V-AC / 620W @ 120V-AC
Comfirmed working PSU list
- ANTEC EA-650 GREEN
- Enermax GX650
- Enermax GX750
- CORSAIR GS700
- CORSAIR GS800
- Super-Flower(振华) SF-650P14XE(GX)
- Enermax 金魔冰核1000W(suit for 4 modules, a little bit long)
- OCZ ZX Series 1250W
The PSU Spec
- 155mm recommend, MAX: 170mm
- For 3 module units: 650W, 48A 12V, at least. recommend for a 20% margin.
- For 4 module units: 750W, 60A 12V, at least. recommend for a 20% margin.
- 1X ATX 24PIN
- 1X EPS 12V (8PIN)
- 2X PCIE 12V (8PIN)
The TP-LINK WR703N
- Connect your laptop to the eithernet port of the Avalon
- Setup your laptop IP address 192.168.0.101
- Open http://192.168.0.100
- Make sure WR703N can access Internet, Configure WiFi: Network -> WIFI -> Scan(select your WIFI network) -> Join Network -> WPA passphrase -> Submit -> Save & Apply for connect to WIFI Internet
- setup your mining worker: Status -> Cgminer Configuration.
- Restart the cgminer service: System -> Startup,
- Check your avalon status: Status -> Cgminer Status
- Setup password/using ssh
ssh email@example.com # Once you setup the password the telnet service will be stop. use ssh instead.
--avalon-options 115200:24:10:45:282. this is the default avalon option. here is the details:
115200: the serial baud. this have to match the controller baud. 24: the miner count.(there are 3 modulars in avalon. each modular have 8 miners), if your avalon have 4 modulars. change it to 32 10: the chip count pre miner. 45: the controller timeout parameter. the valid number: 50, 47, 45, 40. 282: the chip clock. the valid number: 256, 270, 282, 300.
Run cgminer manually
In case you need to run Cgminer in linux console please run the following command:
- Restart Cgminer:
# /etc/init.d/cgminer restart
If your avalon does not mine properly, please run Cgminer in debug mode with -D --verbose option. For example:
# cgminer -S /dev/ttyUSB0 -o stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -O xxxx:yyyy -D --verbose --avalon-options 115200:24:10:45:282 --api-allow "W:0/0" --api-listen 2>/tmp/cgminer-debug.log
There is a modify version of TP-LINK TP-WR703N inside Avalon. cgminer running at 703n, this 703n have 64MB ram and modified power supply. it power from the usb-client side(we moved a 0R resistor from J1 to R113 for that)
Why there is a ugly USB HUB there? you can find more information about AR9331's usb stability issue here.
How to reflash
- Download latest Avalon image to your PC.
System -> Backup / Flash Firmware -> Flash new firmware image (make sure Keep settings is checked)
- Select the image you just download. then compare the md5 in next page. if everything fine. click Proceed
Attention: To avoid your WR703N become a brick, during flash your WR703N be careful DO NOT power off avalon, and DO NOT break your network connection. Just wait there till you see OpenWrt login web page again.
Attention: If not essential please do not re-Flash your Avalon. Because not all of WR703N issue could be resolved by reset button. If you want to play WR703N I would like to recommend you order a standalone TP-LINK WR703N from ebay or somewhere for studying purpose.
WIFI or Ethernet Cable ?
Avalon shipped with a 9db antenna after connect it to WR703N usually could establish good wireless connection with your WIFI router. But if for some reason you would like to use Ethernet Cable to connect Avalon with your network, please login OpenWrt and configure the LAN port:
Network -> Interfaces -> LAN -> Edit -> Common Configuration -> General Setup
Attention: You need to configure it correctly based on your own network enviroment. If anything wrong you might could not access your WR703N any more.
Start to mine
To maximize your Avalon miner's performance, it is recommended that you choose pools with the stratum protocol supported. The default mining pool configured in Avalon is ozco.in. To change it login to OpenWrt:
Status -> Cgminer Configuration Click "Save & Apply" to save your update and restart cgminer immediately
Currently the stratum pools that could work stable with Avalon are:
To get more information about how to configure specific pools, please check their website. If you run multiple Avalons, we recommend that you create a dedicated worker for each of them. This will make it easier to monitor your Avalons through the pool's website and identify possible problems.
About P5 jumper: close this jumper will supply 5V to the USB-B port. in this system, the controller board power the HUB and the HUB power the 703N. but if you connect the controller itself to a PC, you must remove the jumper.
P2Pool Operation with Avalon
There is an /avalon branch Forrest committed to the p2pool github repository. Make sure that is checked out.
Next, the following option may need to be passed to Avalon's cgminer:
--fix-protocol: Do not redirect to a different getwork protocol (eg. stratum)
The current /avalon branch from Forrest is likely now functional. Please test and report your findings to the IRC channel.
NOTE: The best performance the small handful of users who got this working have reported is still about 25-30% DOA against P2Pool (versus the usual DOA of 8-15% or so.) So it's close to desired, but be aware that getting things working in this state currently requires command-line skills and the ability to check-out branches from p2pool's git repository. For the moment, your most efficient options are solo-mining with local pool software, or just using one of the online pools.
- There is a pair of gloves in Avalon package. please put it on when assembling or carrying.
- About the plastic sheets: please remove them BEFORE mining. we design the case as a part of heatsink, so remove the plastic sheets is a must
- About FAN change: DO NOT change the fans to a low speed model. will cause over heat. DO NOT install extra fans at the rear "fan socket". will cause PSU over heat and nearly useless for module cooling.
- About install extra heat-sinks on each avalon chip: please do not do that. there is a air gap between the die and package top, install a heatsink on chip is useless. and will cause overheating. because the top PCB copper act as a heatsink too. do not cover them.
- About water cooling: yes, do it.
- Check your firmware version by goto Cgminer Status page
- Latest Firmware is here
- The Avalon firmware SDK: here
Please always using the latest testing image for testing.
- Merged to cgminer. BIG thanks to conman. so we have all cgminer's improvment
- Idle avalon chips after reset. for save power. (idle needs ~50W)
- Fix the cgminer restart bug.
- Fix temp/fan have wrong value(the wrong result from fpga controller)
- Fix the fan control. now base on the max value of temp2/3
- Fix no_matching_work only count in debug mode
- Update cgminer-monitor, replace [Accept] with [Diff1 Work], add killall before restart.
- Fix a typo on /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
- More check/fliter on result. this make Avalon more stable
- New status page, new api log page.
- Improve the cgminer service. a restart takes ~2 seconds now. no needs ntpd when restart
- Quiet some improvments on software develop/codeing. compile Avalon firmware is much eaiser with build-avalon-image.sh
- Frimware version:
[Firmware Version] => 20130419 cgminer-8e8313c luci-28b4ff2 cgminer-openwrt-packages-f2bc5dc
- For fix the cgminer-monitor, please run this command after you reflash
sed -i 's/ $B / "$B" /' /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
If you "check the Keep settings", you need fill API Allow to "W:127.0.0.1" after reflash, edit it here: "http://AVALON_IP/cgi-bin/luci/admin/status/cgminer/", "DO NOT" left it blank
If you "uncheck the Keep settings" when reflashing, Please "reconfigure your Avalon" after reflash
- Update Linux from 3.6 to 3.8.3
- Update OpenWrt to r36095
- When there is no network. automatic idle chip after detect avalon, save power and protect your avalon overheat
- Idle chip when cgminer close avalon
- Add device_reinit support
- Add frequency, modular configure on web ui
- Add API Allow on web ui
- Add pool balance on web ui, by default balance on all 3 pools
- Add stratum+tcp:// by default
- Display Frequency on status page
- Fix the kern.err kernel: ... ath: phy0: ... bug
- Fliter >=100 degree result for debug
- Replace TempMax with No Matching Work
- A new cgminer status page
- /etc/avalon_version include all repo commit
- Fix temp_history_count, make sure 2~3s call adjuest_fan
- Update adjust_fan()
- Using avaon default worker
- Update fan pwm
- Update fan pwm MAX/MIN
- Sync with upstream, fix the memory leak bug
- Monitor the Accept number
- Add overclock code
- Change the cgminer configure to UCI system
- Add the simple web ui
- Update OpenWRt to r35097
- Update cgminer to 2.10.4
- Remove /www/miner.php, change cgminer cron job to */5
- Start ntpd before start cgminer
- New firmware don't break Avalon for sure
- New firmware don't use all flash. have to keep some space for save configuration
- Either and WiFI connect works fine
- Cgminer works fine(the kernel user driver, cgminer it self, cgminer-monitor and uci configurations files)
- After configure cgminer. [Save & Apply] can restart the cgminer
- The Status/API log page works fine
- Test mining
- Test the cgminer-monitor
- Make sure 80/22/4028 open on WAN.
How to Compile Your Own Firmware for Avalon
1. First check if you have met the building prerequisites. Checkout this page first OpenWrt Buildroot – Installation
For example, if your OS is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, install the required packages like this:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install subversion build-essential sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion git-core libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev gawk flex quilt libssl-dev xsltproc libxml-parser-perl
2. Now get the source code, prepare the code and build. this needs ~6GB
wget https://raw.github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-extras/master/scripts/build-avalon-image.sh chmod +x build-avalon-image.sh ./build-avalon-image.sh --clone #prepare the code and build, ONLY NEED ONCE ./build-avalon-image.sh
3. Update all repos
4. Only rebuild cgminer
5. Finally you could get the freshly built firmware files under avalon/bin/
IRC: #avalon @freenode.net
#avalon @freenode.net Thanks to midnightmagic create that channel
- Why there is a USB-HUB inside
- Why ASIC bitcoin mining?
- Why Avalon?
- Who made Avalon?
- How to order one?
- Avalon ASIC users thread
- Jgarzik's solo mining configuration
- Reverse-Engineering work on the TL-WR703N 150M 802.11n Wi-Fi Router